There is no specific "type" of acquaintance or date rapist. Rapists come from all religious, cultural, social and economic backgrounds. They may not appear to be any different than those around them. However, most rapists exhibit some or all of the following characteristics:
- Shows behavior that is overly aggressive.
- Does not show respect for your feelings, wishes, or beliefs.
- Makes you feel uncomfortable by touching you against your will or by invading your space.
- Doesn't listen to you and/or accuses you of being uptight if you resist their sexual advances.
- Makes rude or degrading comments about you, especially in a sexual way.
- Wants to control your behavior and acts excessively jealous or possessive.
- Is verbally and/or physically abusive toward you.
- Raised in an abusive or violent family setting.
If the person you are with exhibits any of these characteristics or makes you feel uncomfortable, trust your instincts.