Your Rights and Responsibilities
- You have the right to be free from abuse.
- You have the right to live without harassment.
- You have the right to be believed.
- You have the right to live a happy life.
- You are repsonsible for you, and only you.
- You are not responsible for someone else's violent actions.
- You are repsonsible to make your own decisions about your life.
Getting the Help You Need
If you have been abused, remember that you're not alone. Here are some options:
- Call the 24-hour hotline at Berks Women in Crisis.
- Call the police if you are in danger and need help.
- Preserve evidence of the vilence or abuse (e.g. do not shower or change clothes; take photos of bruises and injuries).
- Seek medical attention. Go to a hospital emergency room or doctor. Ask that they document your visit.
- In cases of domestic violence, develop a safety plan. Identify someone you trust. Give them a spare set of keys, important papers, prescriptions, an extra set of clothes and some money, in case you need to leave quickly.