Recognizing Signs of Abuse
Indicators of domestic violence:
- You are afraid of your partner.
- Your partner abuses you physically, emotionally, financially, sexually, and/or verbally.
- Your partner controls where you go and what you do. You are isolated from your family and friends because your partner is possessive of you.
- Your partner seems to have two sides: one that is loving and caring; the other is hostile and abusive.
- You find yourself doing what your partner wants to avoid confrontation.
- Your partner blames you for what is wrong with the relationship.
Indicators of sexual violence:
- You have been threatened, coerced, intimidated, or forced into sexual activity you did not want.
- You have been sexually violated by a family member of acquaintance.
- You have been sexually harassed through words, looks or gestures at home, work or school.